Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Inspiration

I am often asked what got me interested in face painting, and I tell people that as a graphic designer, I usually sit in front of a computer screen for 7-8 hours per day (and have done so for almost 20 years!). Face painting allows me to "get my hands dirty", interact with people (I work from home!) and express a different side of my creative self.

However, having said that, I don't think I would even be face painting if it WASN'T for my computer. I created my website on my trusty Mac, and I am typing this blog entry on my new laptop. My free on-line ads are what got the ball rolling when I was first starting up (thank you craigslist.ca and kijiji.ca) and I have met face painting friends from Montreal and beyond on Facebook. I have joined forums, subscribed to on-line face painting magazines and signed up for courses all from the comfort of my own home.

Then I found Youtube. What can I say, except that Youtube is such an amazing resource for anyone who wants to get started in, or just improve upon their skills as a face painter. You want to learn how to face paint a cat face? Youtube. How to use rainbow cakes? Youtube.
What kind of brush strokes are used to paint roses? Youtube.

It is so amazing to be able to watch a master face painter share their techniques and tips through a 5 minute Youtube video. The amount of information out there just boggles the mind.

Take tonight for example. After dinner, hubby and I got the kids bathed and off to bed. There was tomorrow's lunches to be made, some scattered toys to be picked up and a load of laundry to do, but I found myself in front of my computer at 9:30 p.m. watching a Youtube video. I pulled out my face paints and as tired as I was, I tried to duplicate the beautiful eye design by Montreal's own Jinny that you can see here:


So I'd like to give a big thank you to all of the master face painters and body painters out there who are willing to share what they've learned to allow others to learn from them and improve their skills. You are a real inspiration to me!

1 comment: